Electrical Company fined $70,000 After Workers Injured

August 31, 2017

LONDON, ON - Entegrus Powerlines Inc., a Chatham electrical utility contractor, pleaded guilty and has been fined $70,000 after two workers received electrical burns.

On August 11, 2016, a six-person crew was changing a switch on a utility pole on Head Street North in Strathroy. The final steps for installing the new switch involved forming thick copper leads that would attach the switch to live 16,000-kV power lines. The safety cover on the lines was removed during this time and not reinstalled. Additionally, none of the crew members were assigned to act as a dedicated observer - someone competent in the work being performed who has no other duties but to continuously monitor the situation. 

While workers were forming the fifth of the six leads needed to install the switch, the end of the lead made contact with the live power line. An energy surge went through the lead, switch and utility pole. Two of the workers were in contact with the pole at the time and suffered electrical burns.

Entegrus Powerlines Inc. pleaded guilty to failing to take the reasonable safety precaution of ensuring that a dedicated observer, who was competent in the task being performed, was in place with no other duties but to monitor the work continuously.

The company was fined $70,000 in London court by Justice of the Peace Anna Hampson on August 31, 2017. 

Member of the Canadian Society of Safety Engineering

Member of the Building Industry and Land Development Association

Member of the Canadian Home Builders Association

Member of the Ontario Home Builders Association