Maintenance Work Results in Electrical Shock, Employer Fined $50,000

December 22, 2016 - OTTAWA, ONTARIO - An owner-operator of residential and commercial buildings pleaded guilty and has been fined $50,000 after a worker received an electrical shock and was injured falling off a ladder while replacing part of a light fixture. On July 21, 2015, an employee was working at a commercial office building.  On that day the worker was changing a "ballast" light fixture on the ceiling of one of the building's public hallways. The task required the worker to climb a five-foot ladder in order to remove the existing ceiling ballast and insert a new one. On this occasion, and contrary to company policy, the energy source of the light fixture in question was not shut off, locked-out or tagged. The worker suffered an electric shock and fell from the ladder. As a result of the fall, the worker suffered fractures.

Member of the Canadian Society of Safety Engineering

Member of the Building Industry and Land Development Association

Member of the Canadian Home Builders Association

Member of the Ontario Home Builders Association